“While the average medical cost for a workers compensation claim is approximately $6,000, the medical cost of an individual claim can be a few hundred dollars or millions of dollars. In 2010, an NCCI study found that claims with an obesity comorbidity diagnosis incurred significantly higher medical costs than comparable claims without such a comorbidity diagnosis. Relative to that study, this study expands the number of comorbidities examined and provides additional information on both the types of claimants receiving comorbidity diagnoses and the types of providers submitting comorbidity diagnoses.”
- The share of workers compensation claims with a comorbidity diagnosis nearly tripled from Accident Year1 2000 to Accident Year 2009, growing from a share of 2.4% to 6.6%Claims with a comorbidity diagnosis have about twice the medical costs of otherwise comparable claims
- Comorbidity diagnoses for hypertension are the most prevalent of those investigated
- The initial comorbidity diagnosis tends to occur early in the life of a claim
- Hospital and physician visits account for a majority of visits resulting in a recorded comorbidity diagnosis
- Only a small portion of visits result in the recording of a comorbidity diagnosis
Jon L.Gelman of Wayne NJ, helping asbestos victims and their families for over 4 decades, is the author NJ Workers’ Compensation Law (West-Thompson) and co-author of the national treatise, Modern Workers’ Compensation Law (West-Thompson).
Read more about obesity and workers’ compensation
Workers' Compensation: NCCI Takes Aim At Obesity
Jun 21, 2012
"The statistical analysis shows that claimants with a comorbidity indicator pointing to obesity have an indemnity benefit duration that is more than five times the value of claimants who do not have this comorbidity indicator but ...
The NFL's surprising occupational hazard: obesity that kills
Sep 23, 2011
We thought it was a fitting topic for our workers' law blog because NFL linemen must embrace this condition in order to stay in peak performance. It's called chronic obesity. These days, to be an NFL lineman, you not only have ...
Workers Compensation Insurance Company Ordered to Pay For
Mar 20, 2010
His morbid obesity has contributed to his knee and back problems and, in an effort to combat those problems and counter a broader threat to his survival, claimant sought authorization to undergo gastric bypass surgery.
Federal Government Launches New Workplace Health Program
Jun 30, 2011
Other initiatives put forth by the Obama Administration to promote prevention include the President's Childhood Obesity Task Force and the First Lady's Let's Move! initiative aimed at combating childhood obesity, as well as the ...