A recent study by NCCI Holdings, Inc. reports the top 10 most popular drugs prescribed for workers' compensation claims.
- CYCLOBENZAPRINE HCL
Workers compensation medical costs per claim average more than $6,000 and soar to nearly $25,000 for lost-time claims. The report examined workers compensation prescription drug (Rx) use, a medical expense that makes up 19% of all workers compensation (WC) medical costs.
Other key findings of the report were:
- The indicated Rx share of total medical is 19%; this is slightly higher than the estimate given in the 2010 update
- OxyContin® climbs from the number 3 WC drug in Service Year 2008 to number 1 in Service Year 2009
- Hydrocodone-Acetaminophen drops from the top WC drug in Service Year 2008 to number 3 in Service Year 2009
- Recent overall cost increases are driven more by utilization increases than by price increases
- Physician dispensing continues to increase in Service Year 2009 in almost every state
- Increased physician dispensing is associated with increased drug costs per claim
- Per-claim Rx costs vary significantly by state
For over 3 decades the Law Offices of Jon L. Gelman 1.973.696.7900 firstname.lastname@example.org have been representing injured workers and their families who have suffered occupational accidents and illnesses.