Copyright

(c) 2010-2024 Jon L Gelman, All Rights Reserved.

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Fast food workers strike to double current wages

Wages are a critical component of workers' compensation systems. Wages are utilized to determine rates of compensation benefits. Today's post was shared by Steven Greenhouse and comes from www.nydailynews.com

Hundreds of fast food workers from the likes of McDonald’s, Wendy’s and KFC went on strike.
Strikes were seen in the Bronx, midtown Manhattan, and downtown Brooklyn before a rally of around 300 protesters in Union Square.
Fast food workers are paid on average between $10,000 and $18,000 a year, according to New York Communities for Change.
They're not lovin' it.

Hundreds of New York City fast food workers from the likes of McDonald’s, Wendy’s and KFC went on strike Monday, chanting “Hold the burgers hold the fries, make our wages super-sized!"
They shouted that they deserve the right to unionize and make $15 hourly wages instead of the minimum wage they currently earn.

"I want for us to be respected. $7.25 is not enough!" said Lisette Ortiz, 27, of Rockaway, who works at a McDonald's in downtown Brooklyn.

"I live with my dad. I would like to get my own apartment. You can't! It's impossible!"
Her comments echoed scores of mostly part-time burger flippers, pizza deliverymen and fry cooks who gathered at fast food joints in the Bronx, midtown Manhattan, and downtown Brooklyn before a rally of around 300 protesters in Union Square. They said their paychecks simply cannot sustain life in the city.

"I live with my grandma, my aunt, and cousin. I can't even afford privacy!" said Naquasia LeGrand, 22, of Canarsie, Brooklyn.
"I'm a cashier, I cook, prep, clean — I do it all. It's just not enough, $7.25, not when milk and eggs are going up!”

She said she relies on $113 a month in welfare, in addition to the $225 she makes from working 38 hours a week at two KFCs.

Councilman Jumaane Williams led a rowdy crowd of 60 that barged into the rear entrance of a Wendy's in downtown Brooklyn. Protesters chanted to the workers inside, "We can't survive on $7.25!" and "Come on out, we got your...

[Click here to see the rest of this article]