A formaldehyde spill at Southern Ocean Medical Center on Monday caused three hospital employees to be treated for inhalation of the known carcinogen.
At 10:14 a.m., Stafford Township Police responded to a report of a hazardous material spill at SOCH on Route 72 in Stafford Township.
Investigation revealed that a small quantity of formaldehyde was spilled in a utility closet located in the Labor and Delivery area of the hospital. The spill was contained to the utility closet and no evacuations were necessary, police said.
No patients were injured in this incident but three hospital employees were treated for minor inhalation injuries and released, police said.
Responding agencies included the Stafford Township and Barnegat Township Volunteer Fire Companies as well as Stafford Township EMS.
The Berkeley Township Haz-Mat Unit responded and neutralized and contained the spill which is being cleaned up by a private contractor engaged by Southern Ocean Medical Center.
Questions concerning this release may be directed to Capt. Thomas Dellane at 609-597-1189 ext. 8299.
Jon L. Gelman of Wayne NJ is the author NJ Workers’ Compensation Law (West-Thompson) and co-author of the national treatise, Modern Workers’ Compensation Law (West-Thompson). For over 4 decades the Law Offices of Jon L Gelman 1.973.696.7900 email@example.com have been representing injured workers and their families who have suffered occupational accidents and illnesses.