Copyright

(c) 2016 Jon L Gelman, All Rights Reserved.

Saturday, December 6, 2014

Officials: 2 dead, 12 hospitalized in Passaic incident involving carbon monoxide

Today's post is shared from northjersey.com/

PASSAIC – Two people died and 12 were hospitalized in an incident Saturday involving carbon monoxide at a mixed-use commercial building in Passaic, according to Keith Furlong, the spokesman for the city of Passaic.

Police responded to a 911 call around 1:30 p.m. and found two people dead in a small recording studio on the second floor of the building, Mayor Alex Blanco said at a news conference Saturday afternoon. The other 12 victims “experienced confusion and were choking” as they struggled out of other rooms on the floor.


Firefighters on the scene of a carbon monoxide-related incident in Passaic on Saturday.
Firefighters on the scene of a carbon monoxide-related incident in Passaic on Saturday.
Marko Georgiev/staff photographer
Emergency responders on the scene of an incident in Passaic Saturday on Willet Street.

A man who identified himself as the property owner declined to comment.
The three-story facility is occupied by Streets Rehearsal Studios and has about 20 small rehearsal spaces used by a variety of local musicians and bands, said two musicians at the scene who said they use the space.
The injured are being treated at local hospitals, including St. Mary’s in Passaic. Their names were not provided at the new conference.
“This is a sad day for the city of Passaic,” Blanco said.
The incident at 61 Willet St. drew a...
[Click here to see the rest of this post]