A WIDOW has been awarded a six figure compensation sum after her husband's former employers admitted liability for causing his death.
Pamela Page was awarded £177,500 following the death of her husband Geoffrey of an asbestos related cancer.
Lawyers acting on behalf of Mrs Page said her husband worked in a room at property owned by the music company EMI for three months cutting and drilling insulation material containing white asbestos - without being given protective clothing.
Mr Page, of Chalfont St Peter, only stopped the work in a tool room at an EMI property in Spinfield Road, Hayes, when he was visited by a union representative and told to cease.
He died in September 2011 aged 80 after being diagnosed with an asbestos related cancer. EMI accepted liability in recognition of the suffering Mr Page went through and the nursing care provided by his wife.
The action was brought against EMI on Mrs Page's behalf by the law firm Charles Lucas and Marshall.
Brigitte Chandler from the firm said: "By 1980 when Mr Page was working for EMI, knowledge of the dangers of asbestos was well known and Mr Page should not have been asked to work with the product without any protection.
"He obviously breathed in asbestos dust. This is why EMI’s insurers have accepted liability."
She added: "Sadly, the number of people dying from mesothelioma and lung cancer continues to increase due to the...