Two Los Angeles-based consulting firms, MotorScience Inc., and MotorScience Enterprise Inc., (MotorScience) and their owner, Chi Zheng, have agreed to settle alleged Clean Air Act (CAA) violations stemming from the illegal import of 24,478 all-terrain, recreational vehicles into the U.S. from China without testing to ensure emissions would meet applicable limits on harmful air pollution, announced the Department of Justice, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the California Air Resources Board (ARB).
MotorScience and Zheng have agreed to have a stipulated judgment entered against them for a $3.55 million civil penalty and to pay an additional $60,000 civil penalty within six months. The United States will receive 80 percent of collected penalties, and California will receive the remaining 20 percent.
“This illegal importation of over 20,000 vehicles evaded federal emission standards, jeopardizing human health,” said Cynthia Giles, assistant administrator for EPA’s Office of Enforcement and Compliance Assurance. “Engines operating without proper emissions controls can emit excess carbon monoxide, hydrocarbons and oxides of nitrogen which can cause respiratory illnesses, aggravate asthma and contribute to the formation of ground level ozone or smog.”
“Vehicles and engines that are...
[Click here to see the rest of this post]
- Nation's Biggest Assisted Living Chain Agrees to Pay $2.2 Million to Settle Claims of Cheating on Wages (workers-compensation.blogspot.com)
- Springfield, Mass. Housing Authority Settles Lead-Based Paint Disclosure Case (workers-compensation.blogspot.com)
- EPA Fines Prudent Technologies $65,450 for Failure to Adhere to Repair and Painting Rule at Omaha Lead Site (workers-compensation.blogspot.com)
- EPA Expands List of Safer Chemical Ingredients (workers-compensation.blogspot.com)
- Tacking Health Care Costs Onto California Farm Produce (workers-compensation.blogspot.com)